Apr 2013

Fansubbing general question

Hey guys, I got a question, if I'm allowed to ask...

How do you make a fansub? I'm thinking of making a fansub to help me learn Japanese (I have a grasp of grammar, but I have problems building vocabulary), but I don't know how to make a script, or how to encode it into a video file. Can you tell me this?

Thanks in advance.

Super Watch Panda
    Mar 2011
    Very short response.

First step we do is pre-time the script or the translator does it by his or herself. The program we use to do this is Aegisub.

-The Timer can choose whether to time it with only Audio (which is how I do it) or with both audio and video (which is how others do it).

-If the timer has pre-timed the script the translator fills in the words that appears on the screen.

Once the file is translated completely it goes to the editor to make sure things flow smoothly. (We don't technically use the term QC)

Now the editor can also correct the timings of the episode if lines appear too soon or early in the screen.

-If the editor does not do this, generally we will have someone else do this. (Fortmax, Mobius1, etc..)

After the script looks great we send it to our encoder the mystical FortMax and he waves his magic wand and BAM mkv, mp4 and patch files all come out. (I have no clue what programs he uses)

Once the files is complete, one of us watches it again just to be sure things look right.

If everything looks a-okay, we begin to create the torrent and start uploading it to the seedbox as well.

High fives go around the group.

FortMax, Tom or Shir makes the release post with all the links.

Either me, Shir or FortMax post it on Twitter to spread the message.

And before you know it, it's in your hard drive.

If what I wrote is not clear, fill free to ask questions. (don't click on my signature's link!)

•